Thursday, May 26, 2011

One Search Ending; Another Just Begun

The other day, Linda found what seemed to be confirmation that Charlotte Scott had passed. Not in the state of Washington, as all other evidence indicated, but somewhere in Tampa FL. Now I have to go and change our memorial page for someone about whom we know so little. Another thing that this whole experience has taught me (among so many others) is that I don't want to be part of the named but unknown members of my class, obituary read, memory scanned with no results, and then with a shrug, back to the daily grind. I want to reach out to people I went to school with and talk with them and find out what I missed out knowing about them when they were in school. It's not too late. Use the directory, use the website to randomly contact someone you went to school with, or look up that person you used to be friends with. Maybe that friendship is still there waiting to be rekindled. Maybe not but at least you can be sure.

In my classmate search, I have done so as part of the quest for classmates. I've talked and talked about things common to memory with people I only passed in the hallway 44 years ago. But we're talking and high school memories did happen and no, you aren't just making it up in your own imagination because someone else remembers it, and sometimes, just sometimes, they remember you too, and you see yourself from their eyes and compare it to how you remember yourself back then and you learn something about yourself.

Guess what folks, its a different part of the country, it's a different world in Wayne, NJ, but people there are wondering the same thing as you. What ever happened to, you know, what's their name. He used to play ball......or she used to be a twirler........Now we can actually look it up. I've invited my classmates to put together biographical sketches to include on my Wayne Valley blog. I'd like to extend the same invitation to you. Just a few sentences to let people know how you chose to go. It would be interesting for all to read.

And, as a shameless plug, maybe you could read about it on a wireless laptop from a beach in front of that Orange Beach AL condo that you are staying in because you won the condo drawing for only $10 mailed in to Linda Yuan! Chances are still available from Linda, Patty Qualls, Nancy Layson Burke, Bob Willis and Tommy Waterman. We're hoping to raise as much as possible with this one so we can keep the reservation price for the 45th as low as possible while keeping it something special. The drawing's in August. You know how the summer goes. Blink and it's gone, so like the guy on TV says, "Doittoday!"

No comments:

Post a Comment